Reply To: Bhava: Seed of Consciousness

Lal
Keymaster

1. I understand your frustration. It is not your fault that most of the current interpretations are way off.
– I also see that most translators are in your position as well. They learned these incorrect translations from their teachers.
– It would be good if those translators get to see my posts on objections to their translations in “Elephants in the Room.”
– I welcome them to make rebuttals if they think my interpretations (based on what I learned from Waharaka Thero) are incorrect. We can have discussions at the forum here or anywhere else.

2. Now, let us get back to your questions.
– As I remember, you have been focused on the concept of gandhabba. That could be a wrong starting point.

3. It may be a good idea to understand the key terms in Paticca Samuppada first: sankhara, vinnana, nama rupa, etc.
– See, “Understanding the Terms in Paṭicca Samuppāda“.
– The “Search” box at the top right is a good resource too.

4. If you like to continue with the above questions on “bhava”, you should at least read the posts under “Viññāṇa – Two Critical Meanings“.
– that is one sub-section in the link in #3 above.
– Please let me know once you understand how “kamma vinnana” arise due to “(abhi)sankhara.” That is the “sankhara paccaya vinnana” step in Paticca Samuppada. If you have questions about that, let us discuss them first. We need to start from the first principles.

P.S. I just saw your latest comment where you wrote:
“Dipohasadhamma mentioned “I am (at present) at a loss for WHAT this seed of consciousness is”.

We have many “kamma bija” (seeds) in “kamma bhava” that can give rise to rebirths in a variety of existences (“uppatti bhava”). Such “kamma bija” are created by “kamma vinnana.”
– Of course, only the strongest seed is grasped (upadana).
– That is why it is critical to understand Paticca Samuppada.