Reply To: Bhava: Seed of Consciousness

Dipobhasadhamma
Participant

Thank you. I look forward to your additional comments. With regard to; Why do people take these translations seriously?: I suspect, like me, with limited knowledge of Pali, we take it on good faith that well known persons such as Thanissaro Bhikkhu, Bhikkhu Bodhi, Bhikkhu Nanamoli, and others, know what they are talking about. Also, because there are very few good/reliable/correct resources available. For myself, I admittedly always remain skeptical with Pali renderings until I am satisfied the rendering is a good one based on multiple sources, like Pure Dhamma. But, as you say, many sources appear to duplicate the same errors or the same avijjas for lack of correct knowledge of the linguistics of the language.

Incidentally, I had the opportunity to register for obtaining a degree in Pali studies with a university is Sri Lanka. Unfortunately, living as I do, I could not afford the tuition of $500. Therefore, I must do it the hard way…one word at a time. LOL…a long journey indeed. Also, I am compiling a database for myself of Pali words, comparing various renderings. The comparisons, at times, not always, provide a milieu or flavor of the subject context. The effort alone is like research that, in a cumulative way, gives rise to understanding.