Reply To: Ghandhabba, Jati, Vinnana (Consciousness)

Dipobhasadhamma
Participant

Dearest Lang,
Thank you for the explanation. I do not know all of the Pali terms you are using, so I will have to look them up. With regard to my asking about a starting point, the elementary nature of my question may be getting lost amidst an intellectual mental block. Basically, let’s assume that a persons last thought is both the end and the starting point (citta vithi) and cuti patisandhi.

What comes next? I understand that there is a whole series of things that will effect the forming of the next life. If I understand correctly, the “series of things” is influenced by and generated from a person’s kammic profile (kammic energy) and the level/intensity/condition (?) of the existent arammana. At death, according to Lal, the gandhabba, which is attached to or accompanied by a person’s hadaya vathu, leaves the old body, and awaits a “matching” womb. This cycle continues until a person’s hadaya vathu is exhausted.

According to the definition at Sutta Central, I agree that “arammana” is the starting point. But, is arammana a condition, a state, a cause? From the definition, it seems that arammana is more like a type of fuel or catalyst. Is arammana a constituent element of one’s kammic profile?

So, the gandhabba with its attached hadaya vathu is waiting in the wings. A matching womb comes available. Then, according to Lal: <b>”At that point, the last citta vithi from this hadaya vatthu will run, which will be focused on an arammana corresponding to the STRONGEST kamma from my past.”</b>

Does it appear that this enfeebled brain is beginning to understand the concepts?

With metta,
Dipo

New Concise Pali English Dictionary
ārammaṇa: neuter basis, starting point (for producing or initiating activity), footing; basis of meditation; object, object of consideration, sense-object

PTS Pali English Dictionary

Ārammaṇa: neuter primary meaning “foundation”, from this applied in the following: senses: support, help, footing, expedient, anything to be depended upon as a means of achieving what is desired, i.e. basis of operation, chance Snp verse 1069 (= ālambana, nissaya, upanissaya Cnd.132); Pv.4:1 (yaṁ kiñc’ ārammaṇaṁ katvā) ārammaṇaṁ labhati (+ otāraṁ labhati) to get the chance SN.ii.268; SN.iv.185; condition, ground, cause, means esp. a cause of desire or clinging to life, pl. -ā causes of rebirth (interpreted by taṇhā at Mnd.429), lust Snp verse 474 (= paccayā Snp-a.410), Snp verse 945 (= Mnd.429); Kp-a.23; Dhp-a.i.288 (sappāy˚); Pv-a.279