Reply To: post on Akusala Citta and Akusala Vipāka Citta

Lal
Keymaster

1. First I want to make a comment on the discussion between Lang and Tobias.

Here we need to make a distinction between “recalling past memory” and a “dhammā coming to the mind”.
– Recalling a past memory (namagotta with no kammic energy) REQUIRES us making an effort to recall that memory.
– On the other hand, a dhammā can come to the mind as a kamma vipaka. A dhammā has kammic energy.
– That is important to understand.

Therefore, a memory of a friend cannot just come to the mind by itself (via namagotta).
– It was probably initiated by a dhammā coming to the mind as a kamma vipaka. In response, one may recall other related memories.

2. My second comment is on the original issue: How does a kamma vipaka come DIRECTLY to the mind-door (as a dhammā)? That is not listed in Table 1.3 on p. 43 of Bhikkhu Bodhi’s book (or my posts).
– This may be what Bhikkhu Bodhi is trying to explain on p. 164 at the bottom of the page:
“(2) An independent mind-door process occurs when any of the six sense objects enters the range of cognition entirely on its own, not as a consequence of an immediately preceding sense-door process..”
– The end of the above statement refers to the fact that each five-door sense detection (with a citta vithi of 17 citta) is ALWAYS followed by 3 manodvara citta vithi. I have not discussed this in my posts, I believe.
– So, by “An independent mind-door process” he probably means a sense detection initiated without coming through the five sense-doors, i.e., a mind-door process initiated by a dhammā coming directly to the mind-door. But his explanation is not clear. He is quoting Ledi Sayadaw’s speculation, I believe. No reference to the Tipitaka is given.
– So, the original question remains unanswered so far (unless I missed something in Bhikkhu Bodhi’s explanation).