Reply To: A confusion related to attaining the fourth path in a pure abode:

Lal
Keymaster

Thanks, Triplegemstudent! But the correct reference is not that.

Seng Kiat sent me the following comment.

Here is the sutta on the householder Ugga of Vesālī:
Manāpadāyī Sutta (AN 5.44)
English translation at Sutta Central

Below are the verses concerning the householder Ugga after he passed away:

11.1 Then after some time Ugga passed away,
Atha kho uggo gahapati vesāliko aparena samayena kālamakāsi.

11.2 and was reborn in a host of mind-made gods.
Kālaṅkato ca uggo gahapati vesāliko aññataraṃ manomayaṃ kāyaṃ upapajji.

11.3 At that time the Buddha was staying near Sāvatthī in Jeta’s Grove, Anāthapiṇḍika’s monastery.
Tena kho pana samayena bhagavā sāvatthiyaṃ viharati jetavane anāthapiṇḍikassa ārāme.

11.4 Then, late at night, the glorious god Ugga, lighting up the entire Jeta’s Grove, went up to the Buddha, bowed, and stood to one side. The Buddha said to him,
Atha kho uggo devaputto abhikkantāya rattiyā abhikkantavaṇṇo kevalakappaṃ jetavanaṃ obhāsetvā yena bhagavā tenupasaṅkami; upasaṅkamitvā bhagavantaṃ abhivādetvā ekamantaṃ aṭṭhāsi. Ekamantaṃ ṭhitaṃ kho uggaṃ devaputtaṃ bhagavā etadavoca:

11.5 “Ugga, I trust it is all you wished?”
kacci te, ugga, yathādhippāyo”ti?

11.6 “Sir, it is indeed just as I wished.”
Taggha me, bhagavā, yathādhippāyo”ti.

Thanks and much merits to Seng Kiat!

I have highlighted the relevant verse regarding Ugga’s rebirth: “aññataraṃ manomayaṃ kāyaṃ upapajji
– That means “born with a certain manomaya kāya.”
– That usually refers to a rupavacara Brahma. Even though an arupavacara Brahma also has only a manomayaṃ kāya, he would not be able to communicate with others (in this case, the Buddha).

Therefore, all we can say is that Ugga was reborn in a rupavacara Brahma realm. The sutta does not say anything about that Brahma‘s magga phala.