Reply To: Post on "Buddhism and Evolution – Aggañña Sutta (DN 27)"

Lal
Keymaster

The following comment is from lucas.combon. Even though his first post above did not have a problem, he could not get the following post published. So, the intermittent problem remains. Please keep a copy of any post, and email me ([email protected]) if it does not appear.

Lal, there are other translations that are not the ones that you show in your site that talk about aeons of Cosmic expansion and contraction

“With his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability, he directs and inclines it to the knowledge of the recollection of past lives (lit: previous homes). He recollects his manifold past lives, i.e., one birth, two births, three births, four, five, ten, twenty, thirty, forty, fifty, one hundred, one thousand, one hundred thousand, many eons of cosmic contraction, many eons of cosmic expansion,“

Mind Reading
(https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/dn/dn.02.0.than.html#recollection)

Not only this but even if we consider that the universe does not expand and contract and that the cluster is the only thing that is destroyed, there is still an incongruence in saying that beings will “forcibly” go to the Brahma realms when there are other clusters in the universe in which their kamma can rest and express itself. We know by the literature, and many of us by personal experience, that mind has no spacial limits.

With all my respects, the logic that shows your post is against the law of kamma or the law of cause and effect. If there is any place in the whole universe in which beings have any possibilities to continue with their tendencies they will go there. Only if those places (realms) are not available, only then they will go up and up because of the dissolution of the lower realms.

Thank you!