Reply To: Post on “Gati (Habits/Character) Determine Births – Saṃsappanīya Sutta”

y not
Participant

So the sequence of progress is:

(cultivation of) the Path = Stage Anugami = magga + phala.

This reconciles both facts:
– there is a time lag between the Path and the (magga and phala).
– there is no time lag between the magga and the phala (or, practically none).

It is only now that I get it. And it took me some time as well. I must have been taking the cultivation of the Path for the magga. And a desana like this only serves to support the misapprehension.

Now, that aside, in the post: sotapanna-stage-of-nibbana/sotapanna-anugami-and-sotapanna:

“1. In the salutation to the sangha, they are referred to as “attha purisa puggalā..Thus there are eight types of people belonging to the sangha. Who are the eight?…There are four who have fulfilled the conditions for the four stages of Nibbāna: Sōtapanna, Sakadāgāmi, Anāgāmi, and Arahant. They are said to be in the magga stage for the respective stage. And there are four who have received the fruits (phala)…Thus when one gets into the Sōtapanna magga citta, for example, one receives the Sōtapanna phala in the very next citta. Thus one becomes a Sōtapanna in two consecutive thought-moments.” In the salutation to the Sangha, are the four who exist for only a billionth of second also taken into consideration? ! I am not being impudent.

“3. Thus it is clear that “attha purisa puggalā” consists of the eight Ariyā (Noble Persons). They are Sōtapanna Anugāmi, Sōtapanna, Sakadāgāmi Anugāmi, Sakadāgāmi, Anāgāmi Anugāmi, Anāgāmi, Arahant Anugāmi, and Arahant.

– “attha purisa puggalā” refers to the 4 who have fulfilled the conditions and the 4 who have received the fruits. Moreover, how are there eight when the distinction lasts for only a billionth of a second? And…

– “attha purisa puggalā” refers to the 8 Ariya.

Can you please resolve this?

Thank you very much, Lal