Reply To: Post on An Apparent “Self” Is Involved in Kamma Generation

Lal
Keymaster

Johnny wrote: “If one adamantly insists on an existence of an entity or experiencer to experience a vipaka and a doer to execute a kamma,..”

I think the best way to state is the following:
– There will be a person with the perception of “me” doing kamma as long as that person DOES NOT see the real nature of this world.
– There will be a person with the perception of “me” doing kamma as long as that person HAS a set of gati (habits/character) to get attached to “things in this world.”
– There will be a person with the perception of “me” doing kamma as long as that person DOES NOT see the futility AND danger in getting attached to “things in this world.”
– Only an Arahant has comprehended this fully. Others have to get there in stages.

The first step is the “see” the futility and danger in doing, speaking, thinking immoral things.
– Until one makes progress on that, the ability to “see” the true nature of this world is limited. One’s mind is covered with the five hindrances (panca nivarana): excess greed, excess anger, lethargic mind, the tendency is to do lowly things and uncertainty of one’s faith in Buddha, Dhamma, Sangha (this is because one has not understood Dhamma.)

Thus the first step is to “see” the true nature by getting rid of the ten types of miccha ditthi, and then comprehending Tilakkhana. That is getting to Sotapanna Anugami/Sotapanna stages.
Getting rid of the perception (sanna) of a “me” starts at THAT POINT.
– That step is completed only at the Arahant stage.

Until then there is going to be a “me” doing kamma. That “me” will be born in lower realms if immoral kamma are done.
– At times that “me” will do good kamma, and will be born in good realms.
– That process will continue endlessly until that “me” realizes the true nature and “sees” the futility AND danger in that whole process.

My next series of posts will be on this issue. Good timing!