Reply To: post on Boy Who Remembered Pāli Suttas for 1500 Years

Lal
Keymaster

I watched the video. It is a three-year-old girl from Sri Lanka.

This account is interesting because the girl talks about past birth in a different realm, i.e., different bhava. That is very unusual.
– Most rebirth accounts are from past births in the human realm.
– Normally, memories from different bhava (or realms) cannot be recalled. But some with punna iddhi can do that. Some petas can do that too. That is part of their suffering. They will know exactly why they are born as a peta (hungry ghost.)

Some highlights:

– Both male and female Devas wear colorful clothes and jewelry.
– They apparently have different types of food, drinks, and flowers. We need to remember that those cannot be compared to ours. Don’t think in terms of our food, drinks, flowers, jewelry, etc.
– There are devas with lower and higher levels. I had read that in the suttas too. Some have more powers than others (as a result of better kamma vipaka.)

More interestingly, she gave some accounts of things that happened in the human realm. She says there are no bhikkhus or temples in the Deva realm. She and others “came down” to worship the Buddha and religious sites.
– There were no stupas before the Parinibbana of the Buddha. After Buddha’s Parinibbana, stupas were built. As a Deva, she was able to “go inside” stupas and see those dhatu (remains of the Buddha) enclosed in golden containers.
– She also says the Buddha statues we have today do not match the features of the Buddha. That makes sense. Statues of the Buddha were built hundreds of years after the Parinibbana of the Buddha. There were Buddhist Greek Kings in India after Alexander. That is when the tradition to build Buddha statues started (Greeks are famous for making statues.) P.S. At 8.30 minutes she says that there were no Buddha statues while she was a Deva. Apparently she must have died there within a couple of hundred years after the Parinibbana of the Buddha.
– There was another interesting account regarding the death of Ven. Moggallana. He was killed by a group of people. The King caught them, buried them to their waist and had elephants kill them. That account is in the Tipitaka. She apparently remembers that incident. She did not describe what happened in detail like that. Just said the King killed those who were responsible.