Reply To: Anicca, Dukkha, Anatta in relation to dhamma and various types of sankhara

y not
Participant

Thank you, Lal,

It is # 2 that my question falls under. All is clear about the other three.

There is ‘a higher level of comprehension of Tilakkhana’. So ‘Attachment to sensual pleasures is lost in two stages of Sakadagami and Anagami.’ But the fact is that, for a Sakadagami that attachement is not actually ‘lost’. It is only ‘on the way’ of being lost – and I know that is what you mean as well. ‘On the way’ he/she is destined for a deva existence IN THE SHORT RUN immediately following death because that is where the ‘level’ of comprehension of Tilakkhana leads. Based on that understanding comes the question:

Let us take the case of the lower one of the two: a Sakadagami does ‘punnabhisankhara that could (??) lead to rebirth in the deva realms ONLY with a higher level of comprehension of Tilakkhana.’
(Why not ‘inevitably’ rather than ‘could’ ? This is just something I asked myself ‘en passant’, on reading ‘could lead’, it is not related to my main point. No answer in necessary.) So the question based on the first para above is:

A sankhara is, or sankhara are done:
– 1. with punnahisankhara, leading to a deva existence.
– 2. with Nibbana as the Goal, foregoing AT THAT TIME, all relishing of a deva world.
– 3. with both at once: mindful of that deva existence, with THAT prominent as the immediate destination ,BUT, at the same time, mindful that that too will come to an end because Nibbana must follow. That is, the anicca nature is seen. But what about the sanna here? ..for it ‘takes both in’ at once.

I may have other (related) questions; those, for instance, that have to do with how all that will pan out at the moment of physical death – but that will do for now.