Reply To: Examples of doing Anapana in sankappa, vaca, and kammanta.

y not
Participant

“For example, we have a “bug cup” and a piece of cardboard at home, ready to use. When we see an insect in the house, we put the cup over it and slide the cardboard under the cup SLOWLY. Then we lift the cardboard and the cup together so that the bug is trapped there. Then we take it outside and release it.”

That is my ‘standard equipment’ as well. But sometimes some other can be improvised to deal with particular situations as they arise. In summer I noticed a mosquito sitting on the fruit cover mesh on the kitchen table. I had already reached for my cup and lid…stopped..curved mesh surface, flat open cup base…aha, remove the mesh, wait for the insect to fly back in, now directly onto the fruit, then quickly cover the tray with the mesh, …remove the cover out the window.

As to meditation, I never even use the word, because that at once implies assuming practised postures, maybe coupled with memorised chants and so on. I therefore use the term ‘to reflect’. And to me that means taking time to ‘go into’ something as deep as I can, no matter whether I am sitting, standing, walking or lying down. No formalities, no regimes, no steps, simply natural ‘giving due consideration to’…contemplating is the more natural term, rather than meditation. I know I formerly equated formal meditation with silabbata paramasa outright. I now see it may be beneficial to those whose gati is in line with that.