Reply To: MAJJHIMA Nikāya, SUTTA 99

SengKiat
Keymaster

Here is the part of the sutta that @Embodied said:
Middle Discourses 99 Majjhima Nikāya 99
With Subha Subhasutta
Link location at Suttacentral

Answer is obvious with the below portion of the sutta.

“Master Gotama, I have heard that
“Sutaṃ metaṃ, bho gotama:
the ascetic Gotama teaches a path to companionship with Brahmā.”
‘samaṇo gotamo brahmānaṃ sahabyatāya maggaṃ desetī’ti.
Please teach me that path.”
Sādhu me bhavaṃ gotamo brahmānaṃ sahabyatāya maggaṃ desetū”ti.
“Well then, student, listen and pay close attention, I will speak.”
“Tena hi, māṇava, suṇāhi, sādhukaṃ manasi karohi, bhāsissāmī”ti.
“Yes, sir,” replied Subha.
“Evaṃ, bho”ti kho subho māṇavo todeyyaputto bhagavato paccassosi.
The Buddha said this:
Bhagavā etadavoca:
“And what is a path to companionship with Brahmā?
“Katamo ca, māṇava, brahmānaṃ sahabyatāya maggo?
Firstly, a monk meditates spreading a heart full of love to one direction, and to the second, and to the third, and to the fourth. In the same way above, below, across, everywhere, all around, they spread a heart full of love to the whole world—abundant, expansive, limitless, free of enmity and ill will.
Idha, māṇava, bhikkhu mettāsahagatena cetasā ekaṃ disaṃ pharitvā viharati, tathā dutiyaṃ, tathā tatiyaṃ, tathā catutthaṃ; iti uddhamadho tiriyaṃ sabbadhi sabbattatāya sabbāvantaṃ lokaṃ mettāsahagatena cetasā vipulena mahaggatena appamāṇena averena abyābajjhena pharitvā viharati.
When the heart’s release by love has been developed and cultivated like this, any limited deeds they’ve done don’t remain or persist there.
Evaṃ bhāvitāya kho, māṇava, mettāya cetovimuttiyā yaṃ pamāṇakataṃ kammaṃ na taṃ tatrāvasissati, na taṃ tatrāvatiṭṭhati.
Suppose there was a powerful horn blower. They’d easily make themselves heard in the four directions.
Seyyathāpi, māṇava, balavā saṅkhadhamo appakasireneva cātuddisā viññāpeyya;
In the same way, when the heart’s release by love has been developed and cultivated like this, any limited deeds they’ve done don’t remain or persist there.
evameva kho, māṇava … pe … evaṃ bhāvitāya kho, māṇava, mettāya cetovimuttiyā yaṃ pamāṇakataṃ kammaṃ na taṃ tatrāvasissati, na taṃ tatrāvatiṭṭhati.
This is a path to companionship with Brahmā.
Ayampi kho, māṇava, brahmānaṃ sahabyatāya maggo.