Reply To: Mental State/Demeanor of a Sotapanna

Embodied
Spectator

Hi Akvan,

Thanks for your input. Now :social statute it’s one thing, behaviour it’s another (imo).But agree with the fact that only a Buddha can see thoroughly through.Still,such shouldn’t prevent one of making a “clear” picture of what a Sotapanna might be, it’s a matter of motivation.
Of course there is the link “How does one know wether the Sotapanna stage is reached”(which i still didn’t read) but i think it’s also important to get there by using one’s own words.
So basically to me a Sotapanna is someone that :
Is unceasingly aware (sati) of the Path, that has reasonably understood Tilakhanna based upon PureDhamma definition but also – i.e. – in terms of dhamma (phenomenon) “rise (jati) & fall”.
He is aware of the fact that there is a kammic tendency to cling (crystallization) to phenomenon when they are in its rising phase.
He’s aware of and watches over his khanda, he still has asavas & correspondent anusaya BUT he is not a slave of them – he do his best to apply khaia, to improve his gati.
The Sotapanna strives for an healthy body (kaya) and acute mental faculties yet without getting obsessed by such.
He is sober about every thing body related – food, sexuality, he commands it instead of being a puppet in the hands of Mara.

Just some points,of course there is much more to it.