Reply To: does good kamma lead to good results?

Lal
Keymaster

The sutta says exactly what I said. There is no contradiction.

I think Siebe has a confusion about one’s intention (which according that person may be good) and how that intention (if based on micca ditthi or a wrong view) can have bad outcomes (vipaka).

When a suicide bomber blows up tens of people, his intention could be good from his point of view, because he BELIEVES that it will lead to good results for him and his family (that is what they say).

But it does matter what he (or anyone else) believes or intends. What matters is whether that is view is a wrong view in terms of Nature’s laws (which, according to the Buddha, are embodied in dasa akusala, of which micca ditthi is one).
Killing people is itself a strong immoral act. On top of that he has another strong kamma based on his wrong view that killing other people can lead to good results. So, an action like that has bad kammic consequences due to two factors.

Most of Siebe’s comments in that post and the subsequent post above have this incorrect understanding. For example, Siebe said: “Are the thoughts of a materialist per se immoral because he has a wrong view?”
Of course they are immoral thoughts. It is the same thing. Just because they sincerely believe that a life ends with the death of the physical body, that belief is a STRONG micca ditthi. That seems like a harsh statement. But that is true. Rebirth and laws of kamma (rooted in dasa akusala) are foundations of Buddha Dhamma. These are not philosophical issues to be debated on. One either believes them or not. But there are many logical arguments provided by the Buddha for a rational person to see the truth in them. I have explained the importance of getting rid of micca ditthi in many web posts and in several topics in the discussion forum.

This is not different from common law applied in courts. There could be a person X who believes it is moral to steal from the rich and give to poor. But stealing is a crime and he will be punished for that crime. Nature works the same way. Just being ignorant of nature’s laws is not an excuse. One cannot say, one did not know that killing animals for sport is immoral; he/she will be paying for such immoral acts.

Now, anyone is free to believe whatever he/she wants. I am just stating facts according to the Tipitaka. Even the Buddha could not persuade people with strong micca ditthi. So, I am not going to say anymore on this subject. This is a very clear-cut case.