Reply To: Nibbana, not of this world?

Lal
Keymaster

Johnny Lim said: You mentioned…

Nibbana is detaching from this world. So, all three entities of citta, cetasika, and rupa cease to exist. There is no mind without citta and cetasika. So, when the mind becomes free of asavas, the mind itself cease to exist.”

From Paticca Samuppada point of view, there cannot be consciousness without namarupa and vice versa, right?

I should have said, “Parinibbana is detaching from this world…”
That statement does not hold for saupadisesa Nibbana. That should be clear from the above discussion.

Siebe said: “..So, can saupadisesa Nibbana not be understood as the ultimate peaceful nature of the mind freed from all adventitious defilements? ..”

In this life one suffers through two types of vedana:
1. Bodily sukha/dukha vedana are due to kamma vipaka and originate in the physical body.
2. Mental somanassa/domanassa vedana or “samphassa ja vedana” are felt directly by the mind; they are mind made due to defilements.

At saupadisesa Nibbana, only “samphassa ja vedana” are stopped. Even the Buddha felt the vedana of the first type (getting injured, backaches, etc). Both kinds are stopped at anupadisesa Nibbana or Parinibbana.

Vēdanā (Feelings) Arise in Two Ways

These are key points that needs to be deeply contemplated on. Just reading through is not enough. I think this thread highlighted many key questions of Nibbana.

Now it should also be clear how lobha, dosa, moha can lead to mental distress (tāpa or peleema or incessant distress) and how the mind cools down (and niramisa sukha arises) when those are gradually stopped.
It is a step-by-step process described in the “Living Dhamma” section, as I keep pointing out. This also cleanses the mind and makes it easier to understand deeper concepts. It is not possible to really grasp the concept of Nibbana just by reading about it (even though having the mechanism clarified helps).
The key phrase “ātāpī sampajānō, satimā vineyya lōke abhijjhā dōmanassam..”in the Satpatthana Sutta is all about this “tāpa” or “heat” or “fire” in the mind that needs to be cooled down:
Satipatthāna Sutta – Structure