Reply To: Respect

pathfinder
Participant

Hmm i guess to relate it to us as an extreme example if we see someone spit on a buddha statue that we visit often then we wouldn’t like it too! At that moment some of us can be quite agitated, if we are not well practiced on the path then all hell can break loose. Although it is more extreme than the 2 examples you’ve mentioned, we don’t know how much value they put into these symbols.

Something that helps me get less agitated is to try and understand the causes, eg reason why they are acting this way. Is not just for religious beliefs but anything in general! From the dhamma we are further equipped with the knowledge that they are acting based on the gati and 5 aggregates, but even without that by learning the “mundane causes” eg they grew up with it, their parents told them about it, they respect their parents too, their whole community cares about it, you insult this you insult their community, they are close to their community etc can make you less angry!

Also when I find myself angry I try to think of it as “my fault” for being angry. How can we let our anger or happiness be subject to the external conditions! We have learned that it is in the mind. Then it becomes a “test” that i have failed, an area for improvement. It lets me learn “hmm something is still wrong with my understanding here.” then I try to reflect with dhamma principles until I am not annoyed. But it is still difficult because my puthujjana instincts kick in.

2 users thanked author for this post.