The "Deathless"?

Tagged: 

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Lal.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Yeos
      Participant

Hi,

How do you “decode” the following :

I – M 140 Dhatu-vibhanga Sutta

“Furthermore, a sage at peace is not born, does not age,
      does not die, is unagitated, and is free from longing. He has
      nothing whereby he would be born. Not being born, will he
      age? Not aging, will he die? Not dying, will he be agitated?…..”

Does not die ?

Lal
      Keymaster

Please provide a link to the sutta when you quote a sutta.

If possible provide a link to the Pali version too.

That will make it easier for others to take a look at the sutta and comment on the question.

How to provide a link is described step-by-step here:
      How to Reply to a Forum Question

SengKiat
      Keymaster

The sutta that @Yeos is referring is MN 140 Dhatu-vibhanga Sutta: The Analysis of the Elements.

The portion he refers to is as below:

The sage at peace is not reborn, does not grow old, and does not die. They are not shaken, and do not yearn.
      Muni kho pana, bhikkhu, santo na jāyati, na jīyati, na mīyati, na kuppati, na piheti.

For they have nothing which would cause them to be reborn. Not being reborn, how could they grow old? Not growing old, how could they die? Not dying, how could they be shaken? Not shaking, for what could they yearn?
      Tañhissa, bhikkhu, natthi yena jāyetha, ajāyamāno kiṃ jīyissati, ajīyamāno kiṃ mīyissati, amīyamāno kiṃ kuppissati, akuppamāno kissa pihessati?

Yeos
        Participant

Hi,

But of course, it has to do with nibanna; once nibanna attained rebirth ceases, and with the ceasing of rebirth all the existential-material features inherent to existence and to rebirth also cease.

Thank you

Yeos
      Participant

@Lal,

Approximately page 99 of the PDF “A Taste of Salt draws 350 pages containing the central teachings of the Buddha from the roughly 5,000 pages of the Sutta Piṭaka”.

Am I doing this correctly ? Hope so.

http://www.beckyhaycox.com/sutta/

Lal
      Keymaster

” roughly 5,000 pages of the Sutta Piṭaka”

That sounds about right.

Yeos
        Participant

You don’t agree with the expression “central teachings” on “Taste of Salt draws 350 pages containing the central teachings of the Buddha”… ?

Lal
      Keymaster

I cannot comment on that. I don’t have time to read their 350 pages of “central teachings”.

However, it is likely to be on key suttas, so could be fine (If the translations are good).

I just don’t know what is in there.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.