Reply To: Buddha Pooja

Lal
Keymaster

Saket wrote: “You will be surprised but the original Bodhi Tree is not in India. It is actually in Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka where the Bodhisattva attained Samma Sambodhi. It is known as “Jaya Sri Maha Bodhi”

I had heard that the Bodhi tree in India has been destroyed more than once. I just asked Google Bard about that the following was the response:

“Yes, that is correct. The original tree under which Siddhartha Gautama sat is no longer living. It was destroyed by a storm in the 6th century AD. However, a descendant of the original tree was planted in its place, and this tree is still alive today. It is located in the Mahabodhi Temple in Bodh Gaya, India, and it is a major pilgrimage site for Buddhists from all over the world.

The Bodhi tree is a sacred fig tree (Ficus religiosa), and it is considered to be a symbol of enlightenment and wisdom. Buddhists believe that the Buddha attained enlightenment under the Bodhi tree, and they often pray and meditate under the tree in order to gain its blessings.”

Then I asked: “Can you give a reference for that?”

Google Bard:

Sure. Here are a few references that confirm that the original Bodhi tree is no longer living:

• The Bodhi Tree: A History by Donald S. Lopez, Jr. (2012)
  • The Buddhist Path to Enlightenment by Walpola Sri Rahula (1974)
  • The Life of the Buddha by H.W. Schumann (2011)

In addition, the website of the Mahabodhi Temple in Bodh Gaya states that the original Bodhi tree was destroyed by a storm in the 6th century AD. The website also states that a descendant of the original tree was planted in its place, and that this tree is still alive today.

• Again, I don’t think we need to spend time researching such issues. But it is interesting. 
  • Furthermore, if anyone has supporting strong evidence for the Buddha was born in India, I don’t mind such information posted here. We need to keep an open mind.