Viggāhikakathā Sutta

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Jittananto
      Participant

Do you think this sutta tells us to refrain from any type of confrontation with the Dhamma? Some might interpret this as letting others follow their erroneous views of the Dhamma, without telling them anything.

Viggāhikakathāsutta

Lal
      Keymaster

The sutta doesn’t say not to teach Dhamma; it just says to avoid useless debates.

The English translation is good. There are no “deep concepts” here, and it is straightforward.

Bhikkhus, don’t get into arguments, such as:

You don’t understand this teaching and training. I understand this teaching and training. What, you understand this teaching and training? You’re practicing wrong. I’m practicing right. I stay on topic, you don’t. You said last what you should have said first. You said first what you should have said last. What you’ve thought so much about has been disproved. Your doctrine is refuted. Go on, save your doctrine! You’re trapped; get yourself out of this—if you can!”

• Those types of “debates” are the ones to avoid. 
      • Just saying, “Your argument is wrong. Mine is correct,” etc., is not beneficial. You only need to present your arguments with evidence from the Tipitaka. There is no need to engage in debates.
      5 users thanked author for this post.
      Jittananto
      Participant

Thank you for the clarifications, Sir🙏🏿

1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.