Post on “Sensory Experience, Paṭicca Samuppāda, and pañcupādānakkhandha”

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      dosakkhayo
      Participant

Sensory Experience, Paṭicca Samuppāda, and pañcupādānakkhandha

#10 first bullet

The critical role of saññā has been hidden in recent years. Most of the vedanā we experience are “mind-made” and arise due to saññā vipallāsa or distorted saññā.

I think this sentence could lead to the misunderstanding that distorted sanna is equivalent to sanna vipallasa.

Lal
      Keymaster

I know it can be a bit difficult to grasp the idea of saññā vipallāsa or distorted saññā.

• Saññā vipallāsa is equivalent to  distorted saññā. I translate “vipallāsa” as “distortion” because it refers to an incorrect perception (saññā) of worldly experiences.
      • What do you consider to be the difference between them?
      • Clarifying these concepts is essential, so don’t hesitate to state what you understand them to be.
      dosakkhayo
      Participant

As far as I understand, distorted sanna is the bahidda sanna. It is not contaminated, i.e., it has no raga, dosa, or moha. On the other hand, saññā vipallāsa is a certain type of avijja. One is fooled by(saññā vipallāsa) distorted sanna because of not knowing(saññā vipallāsa) how distorted sanna arises. So, saññā vipallāsa is not the same as distorted sanna.

Also, when

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by dosakkhayo.
      dosakkhayo
      Participant

Could it be that I misunderstood something? If so, please let me know so I can correct it. Thank you.

Lal
      Keymaster

My apologies for not responding to your earlier comment. I did not see it.

• I had made a mistake in my earlier comment that you linked to. I just corrected it as follows:

P.P.S. (September 16, 2024): There is a critical difference between the effects of ditthi vipallasa and sanna vipallasa

• At the Sotapnna stage, ditthi vipallasa disappears, and wrong views are removed.
      • In contrast, sanna vipallasa is “built into” our mental and physical bodies. We can only train the mind to “ignore it” and “not to be fooled by it.” That happens in stages. An Anagami’s mind will still get the “distorted kama sanna” that honey is sweet, but it will not be attached to that taste. In another example, An Anagami will see the “beauty of a woman” but will not generate lust for the woman. 
      • But an Anagami (who has cultivated jhana/samapatti) will still be attached to jhanic or arupa samapatti “pleasures.” An Arahant (who has cultivated jhana/samapatti) will still feel the same jhanic or arupa samapatti “pleasures,” but their minds will not be attached to them.

I hope this will clarify your well-justified questions. I should have expressed my ideas better.

• I will clarify this in detail in the next post, but feel free to ask any questions.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      dosakkhayo
      Participant

Q1. Is sanna vipallasa removed at the stage of anagami because it only pertains to the kamaloka?

Q2. Until now, I have thought that the removal of sanna vipallasa is achieved through the regulation of physiological responses (with panna). Is this a correct statement?

Lal
      Keymaster

Q1. Sanna vipallasa is associated with all three “lokas.”

• “Distorted kama sanna” is associated with the realms in the kama loka and leads to “kama raga.” An Anagami has removed “kama raga,” meaning they will  no longer be attached to “distorted kama sanna.
      • “Distorted rupa loka sanna” (jhanic pleasures) are associated with the realms in the rupa loka.” “Distorted arupa loka sanna” (samapatti pleasures) are associated with the realms in the arupa loka.” An Arahant (who has cultivated jhana/samapatti) will still feel the same jhanic or arupa samapatti “pleasures,” but their minds will not be attached to them.

Q2. Yes.

• P.S. It is better to say: “..removal of the tendency to attach to sanna vipallasa is achieved through the cultivation of wisdom (panna).”
      • This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Lal.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
      dosakkhayo
      Participant

Thank you. I can’t wait to read the next post!

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.