Eleven Types of Rupa, Vedanā, Saññā, Saṅkhāra, and Viññāṇa

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Lal
      Keymaster

In some posts (especially older ones), the eleven types of rupa, vedanā, saññā, saṅkhāra, and viññāṇa have not been discussed correctly.

• The eleven types are: atītā, anāgata, paccuppanna, ajjhatta, bahiddha, oḷārika, sukhuma, hīna, paṇīta, dūre, and santike
      • In particular, if ajjhatta and bahiddha are translated as internal and external, that is incorrect. All those eleven entities arise in one’s own mind. 
      • In recent posts, I have discussed the meaning of ajjhatta and bahiddha as entities that arise early in the mind upon receiving a sensory input.
      • I need to go through the old posts and make the corrections. That may take some time. In the meantime, please keep that in mind.

For example, when a sensory input comes in, bahiddha viññāṇa arises first with a built-in “distorted saññā,” but it is not defiled; i.e., it does not have raga, dosa, or moha associated with it.

• The mind of a puthujjana (with all samyojana intact) will automatically attach to it at a low level of attachment. That attachment may grow in some cases, leading to kamma accumulation.
      • That happens because a puthujjana perceives worldly things to be of value. Thus, that bahiddha viññāṇa automatically turns into an ajjhatta viññāṇa. Ajjha” means “mine,” and “atta” means “beneficial” in this context.

I am thinking about how to start rewriting relevant old posts to make that clear. 

1 user thanked author for this post.
      dosakkhayo
      Participant

I think it might be a good idea to set all the related posts to private first, and then gradually make them public again as I fix them one by one. That way, you can continue posting without falling behind, and it will also make editing easier.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by dosakkhayo.
      Lal
      Keymaster

Good suggestion. Thank you!

• If anyone comes across a post(s) that need revision, please send me the link or its title: [email protected].
      dosakkhayo
      Participant

I think we need a new post to serve as a standard for our decisions. How about proceeding by revising anything that is inconsistent with this new post?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.