Analogy of Smoker Island

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Lal.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      pathfinder
      Participant

I could share an analogy I came up with:

Suppose there was an island. Its inhabitants live isolated from the rest of the world. In this island there is a heavy culture of smoking, everyone does that and people start smoking as early as 1years old. None of them has realized the dangers of smoking. Because of that, everyone suffers from lung cancer, and in the end, they suffer from respiratory diseases throughout their lives.

However, since everyone suffers from it, they think it is a normal way of life. In fact when their lungs feel uncomfortable they would smoke more to ease it, that is the only solution they know and believe to be effective. The doctors only prescribe people more cigarettes because they think it soothes the lungs from years of habit. (People believe engaging in sense pleasures to relieve themselves from vexation is the only solution.)

One day, an inhabitant decided to investigate whether all these ailments could be cured. After years of research, staying at hospitals, he found that, surprise, surprise, smoking is the cause of respiratory problems! Because of how much suffering he has seen at the hospitals and because of his unshakeable conviction in studies, he gives up immediately. After he gave up, he also realized what fresh air really is like (pabhassara citta) and how the pleasurable cigarette itself is an illusion that they created. He also found out how smoking is addictive, and it only makes one smoke even more! (Craving propels us along samsāra) He then goes on to write about his findings in newspapers. He gives the four main points (Noble Truths)

1) There is suffering that can be prevented – all our respiratory illnesses, all the discomfort we feel 
      2) The cause of this suffering is smoking 
      3) The cessation of suffering is the cessation of smoking 
      4) That can be done gradually, but one must first have the right view that smoking is harmful

Of course, some people immediately reject him. What nonsense is he talking about? We’ve been doing this all our lives; when I stop smoking, I feel even worse! However, some were wise, and they looked into his findings and contemplated if they were true. those who understood slowly went on the path to quit smoking. Then you may ask, why do those who understand not quit smoking immediately? (Sotapanna) There are 3 reasons:

1) They still perceive smoking as pleasurable 
      2) They do not see fully the dangers of smoking yet. They may know it is harmful but do not know its extent.
      3) They do not fully understand the connection between smoking and lung diseases, though they know that smoking causes lung diseases.

To tackle each issue: 
      1) They have to contemplate whether it is actually pleasurable (Tilakkhana), that each cigarette only brings pleasure for a short-lived moment. They can also gradually feel the decrease in vexation and agitation as they slowly give it up (Nirāmisa Sukha)
      2) They have to try and observe the suffering that is caused by smoking (Tilakkhana, 4 Noble Truths)
      3) They have to study more on the process behind smoking and lung damage (Paticca Samuppada)

Therefore, there are 3 main ways we can tackle attachment! 
      1) Look at how things are actually not pleasurable and to our liking (Tilakkhana) 
      2) Look at all the suffering that is caused by our attachment (4 Noble Truths, Tilakkhana) 
      3) Be firm in our understanding of the origin of suffering (Paticca Samuppada)

My learning points from this analogy would be the importance of comprehending all aspects: the 4 Noble Truths, Tilakkhana, and Paticca Samuppada. Before that, I would skip PS because I felt it was a bit complicated, but it is good to study it to have faith in the rebirth mechanism and be completely clear that attachment is the cause of suffering, even in future lives.

2 users thanked author for this post.
      Lal
      Keymaster

Well done! Thank you for sharing the analogy.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.