Reply To: post on Vipallāsa (Diṭṭhi, Saññā, Citta) Affect Saṅkhāra

Lal
Keymaster

What is discussed so far on the website is enough to attain the Sotapanna stage.

• What I realized recently is that to progress beyond that, especially to attain the Anagami stage, a deeper understanding may be needed. Furthermore, a more dedicated, formal meditation can speed up that process.
  • We see in many suttas that the Buddha instructed many Bhikkhus the following (after he realizes that they have attained the Sotapanna stage): Go to a forest, a monastery, etc., and practice diligently. This is a dedicated, all-out practice primarily suitable for bhikkhus. That phrase is not there when the Buddha instructs “householders.”

That phrase is :Idha, bhikkhave, bhikkhu araññagato vā rukkhamūlagato vā suññāgāragato vā nisīdati pallaṅkaṁ ābhujitvā ujuṁ kāyaṁ paṇidhāya parimukhaṁ satiṁ upaṭṭhapetvā.”

Translated:Bhikkhus—go to the wilderness, or the root of a tree, or an empty building and cultivate Anapansati/Satipatthana.”

• That translation has other meanings that I have discussed many of the terms in that verse in “Mahā Satipaṭṭhāna Sutta.” Those meanings should be used in “everyday practice” by everyone. That is basically to be mindful.
  • Both versions apply in the “accelerated practice.” But mostly bhikkhus can do the above, i.e., go to the wilderness, or the root of a tree, or an empty building and cultivate Anapansati/Satipatthana.” But it is necessary to first get to the Sotapanna stage and understand what needs to be contemplated in formal sessions.

Therefore, there is no urgency to discuss the “deeper level.” Most of the readers of this website are lay people. What is critical is to make sure that one has understood the futility/dangers in the rebirth process and to get to the Sotapanna stage. 

• Thus, I will start by rewriting some old posts to explain/expand on the fundamental ideas. This Dhamma is profound. I am surprised by how deeper we can go. But, of course, with a deeper understanding, one can explain fundamental concepts in better ways too. 
4 users thanked author for this post.