Getting realizations outside of silent meditation

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      upekkha100
      Participant

I’ve read the posts in the Bhavana section and was glad to know that real meditation is supposed to be contemplation on Dhamma concepts as much as possible, whenever possible, when the mind is calm(not just during formal sitting meditation).

In the past, when I tried doing planned formal sitting meditation in silence and tried to contemplate deeply on a Dhamma concept, I was not able to. My body would start feeling uncomfortable and I really could not concentrate. Thus I didn’t get much benefit or realizations/understanding about any Dhamma concept from these sessions.

In contrast, during unplanned times when I’m simply lying back and my mind is calm and start thinking about concepts, things start clicking and connecting and makes sense. I’d describe these as epiphanies/”aha” moments. But the unusual thing is, when I’m thinking about these concepts, I’m not in silence. Meaning, I get these realizations when I am talking to myself out loud or when writing these thoughts down. In other words I seem to not get benefit from silent thinking(sankappa), but I do notice benefits when I engage in vaca and writing-I seem to understand better via these two methods.

I have not seen the above cases about vaca or writing being mentioned in the Bhavana section, to my memory.

1) So I’d like feedback, if anyone has had similar experience.

2) And whether these 2 methods(talking out loud about Dhamma concepts and writing about Dhamma concepts) can be considered as bhavana.

Lal
      Keymaster

“In contrast, during unplanned times when I’m simply lying back and my mind is calm and start thinking about concepts, things start clicking and connecting and makes sense. I’d describe these as epiphanies/”aha” moments. But the unusual thing is, when I’m thinking about these concepts, I’m not in silence. Meaning, I get these realizations when I am talking to myself out loud or when writing these thoughts down. In other words I seem to not get benefit from silent thinking(sankappa), but I do notice benefits when I engage in vaca and writing-I seem to understand better via these two methods.”

This is really true.

Bhavana is NOT just formal meditation. Some people think bhavana requires one to sit like a statue. Many of those people just focus their mind on the breath, which is really a waste of time.

One could be consciously thinking or talking (both involve vaci sankhara), and even engage in writing (involving kaya sankhara) while doing bhavana.

On the other hand, mano sankhara arise automatically (when a sense input comes in), and are not really involved in bhavana.

By the way, Samma Sankappa are conscious thoughts. They are really vaci sankhara (talking to oneself), which is what you seem to be doing. Based on Samma Sankappa, one speaks out (Samma Vaca) and does bodily actions (Samma Kammanata).

So, everything you are doing seem to be correct. Listening to Dhamma discourses (and reading) are also strong aspects of bhavana.

Basically, bhavana is any activity that helps makes progress on the Path.

y not
      Participant

Upekkha,

With me what you call ‘aha’ moments come in both situations you mention. In my case they are modified somewhat:

1) when I am thinking about a totally different thing, even a very mundane one, and up pops something about Dhamma I had been contemplating well before. Usually it turns out to be a significant point I had missed before

2) The other case is when I am writing a post on here. I do not talk out loud at all. I do no formal meditations – I am by nature averse to anything requiring laid- out methods and structures; in short, anything ‘formal’. I see it as forcing it on oneself and feel it to be quite out of time and out of place.

As to your question: to me any situation that takes you deeper into Dhamma IS meditation.

Lal
      Keymaster

I just wanted to add the following:

It is a good idea to do a “formal meditation” session too. This will help one’s mind to settle down, especially in the early days.
      – This just means sitting down in a quiet place and either contemplate on a Dhamma concept or recite a kammatthana while contemplating on its meaning.
      – One may be able feel “bodily sensations” when one gets deeper into samadhi.

Formal sessions are also good to get into jhanas. While our objective is not jhanas, especially those with “jhanic experiences in recent past lives” may be able to get into jhana relatively easily.
      – However, it is important not to get attached to such jhanic experiences.
      – In particular, one should ignore any “colored lights” or objects (some people see religious symbols) that come to mind. These could be distractions and even dangerous.
      – Some may get deeper into jhana and see “white light”. That is good, but one should just ignore that too.
      – The bottom line is that any light or symbol belong to this world, and should not be the “thought object” in Ariya meditation.

Anonymous
      Inactive

In Givin School https://en.givinschool.org we have several meditations outside of silent meditation. You can work with them during your daily activity and rise up your state on much better level. During School’s retrit everything organized to give you maximum space to work with those (and some other) meditations. It is very strong period for meditation and to go deep into your real nature. So if you are interesting in this area and ready to try you are welcome https://retrit.org/en.

Christian
        Participant

This is another new age hoax to sell out people hope for the future. Same as fad diets gurus and other people who make up things with a lot of buzz words – this is just another sect that keeps leeching of people suffering. :(

There is no real progress outside Dhamma – keep that in mind

y not
      Participant

Welcome Serg !

Try this.

Keep coming back to the posts and the forum here, then you will be able to make a comparison. Dhamma is a lifelong endeavour, THE ONE truly worth the while. It is not about occasional ‘excursions’ into meditation for temporary relief from the pressures of life. It is about getting to accept,as a result of reflection and understanding, the message of the Buddha, the elimination of ALL future suffering. Then to apply the Teaching. You will soon enough begin to see a transformation. A PERMANENT one. This is the criterion.

I have found of value also the desanas given by Venerable Wallasmulle Abhaya Thēro and Venerable Battaramulle Amadassana Thēro referred to by Lukas in the post English Pure Dhamma Resources in the General Forum .

May the blessings of the Buddha, the Dhamma and the Sangha guide you on in this, the Noblest of Quests.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.