Self-Defense & the Bhaudhdhaya Condition

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Embodied
      Spectator

Hi all,

As you might know from a certain moment on specific branches of Buddhism ( i.e. Chan) were associated to “physical” & martial practices. What is Pure Dhamma perspective on this subject ? Has a Bhaudhdhayā the right to defend himself vigorously if and when his/her “physical integrity ” is at stake ?
      For Julius Evola on his “The Doctrine of Enlightenment” the Bhaudhdhaya has also something of a warrior because of his stoicism – capacity to endure heat, cold, etc etc…

Thank you

Johnny_Lim
      Participant

Hi Embodied,

If Bhaudhdhayā feels that there is a need to do self-defence, then he still has a sense of self. A self that still cherishes life to a certain extent, for whatever reason.

Embodied
      Spectator

Hi Johnny,

Yes exactly. By the way I don’t see Siddharta’s ways as a negation of life (1*).Perhaps as a negation of life as it is often envisaged within materialistic society nowadays.

(1*) yes some see Buddhism as an “anti-life” option but why waste my time and energy trying to prove them they’re wrong…

Johnny_Lim
      Participant

Embodied,

If I did not recall wrongly, the Buddha mentioned that existence is like spittle, and that sankhara should be seen like urine and excrement.

Embodied
      Spectator

Johnny,

Buddha mentioning that sankhara is like spittle is also sankhara.
      Without sankhara we probably wouldn’t ever had the Holy One’s teachings.

Johnny_Lim
        Participant

Embodied,

Interesting analogy. That’s why we have to strive hard on this spiritual path to emerge as a blossomed lotus from muddy water.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.