Peṭakopadesa

• This topic has 9 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Lal.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      TripleGemStudent
      Participant

Someone mentioned this, and it’s been beneficial for me to come across it.

“Tattha katamo aniccaṭṭho? Pīḷanaṭṭho aniccaṭṭho pabhaṅgaṭṭho sampāpanaṭṭho vivekaṭṭho aniccaṭṭho, ayaṃ aniccaṭṭho.

Herein, what is the meaning of anicca? The meaning of pressure is the meaning of anicca; the meaning of not nicca; the meaning of ephemeral; the meaning of causing to terminate; the meaning of seclusion [from nicca] is the meaning of anicca. This is the meaning of anicca.
      (Peṭakopadesa 140)”

– Something caught my interest was the word “pilanattho”, if I’m not mistaken that’s probably the same word as “Pīḷana”? In the translation above, I believe it’s being translated as pressure? But the word “pressure” needs further clarification, here at Puredhamma, Pilana is incessant distress, on Ven. Waharaka Thero’s English sub video’s, it’s “vexatious”. To me the main idea is clear what incessant distress or vexatious is. But I’m not sure if the two pilana are the same word?

– Any other translation for ?
      “Tattha katamo aniccaṭṭho? Pīḷanaṭṭho aniccaṭṭho pabhaṅgaṭṭho sampāpanaṭṭho vivekaṭṭho aniccaṭṭho, ayaṃ aniccaṭṭho.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Lal
      Keymaster

This is a good example of why “anicca” should not be translated as a single word of “impermanence” in English.

Tattha katamo aniccaṭṭho? Pīḷanaṭṭho aniccaṭṭho pabhaṅgaṭṭho sampāpanaṭṭho vivekaṭṭho aniccaṭṭho, ayaṃ aniccaṭṭho.”
      – It means, “What is meant by the “anicca lakkhana“? – It means (things in this world) are to cause stress (Pīḷana), are of “breakable nature (pabhaṅga), induce one to engage in immoral deeds (sampāpana), cause restlessness (aviveka).”

There are even more words used to describe anicca in another Tipitaka Commentary. It is not necessary to analyze each of them.
      – However, I have discussed the Pīḷana nature in the post, “Anicca – The Incessant Distress (“Pīḷana”)

TripleGemStudent
      Participant

Much merits Lal for the alternative translation! This has provided me with new insights into understanding more about anicca nature.

What I noticed is that here at Puredhamma, one of the posts mentioned Aniccam khayatthena. “Because one’s hope for enjoying (rupa and the other aggregates) will only lead to one’s demise (aniccam khayatthena).” Now seeing in the Petakopadesa mentioning something similar on how anicca nature induces one to engage in immoral deeds. I believe a connection I was able to make between the two concept or words “sampapana” and “aniccam khayatthena” is:

“Due to anicca nature of the 5 aggregates, it induces one to engage in immoral deeds (sampapana). (One of the reasons why anicca nature induces one to engage in immoral deeds is because we’re never able to fulfill our wishes / desires / likes, etc and we keep trying to especially through akusala deeds) and if one desires or hopes to enjoy / obtain the 5 aggregates that’s of anicca nature, it will lead one to demise (aniccam khayatthena).

This is an observation that I made, I thought I would share it.

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes. The succinct verse: “Tattha katamo aniccaṭṭho? Pīḷanaṭṭho aniccaṭṭho pabhaṅgaṭṭho sampāpanaṭṭho vivekaṭṭho aniccaṭṭho, ayaṃ aniccaṭṭho
      can be analyzed in great detail.

The word sampāpanaṭṭho means “with the meaning of sampāpana.”
      – “sampāpana” is “san” + “pāpana” where “pāpana” implies “inducing pāpa” or “inducing immoral.” Of course, “san” is to “add.”
      – Thus, sampāpanaṭṭho conveys the idea that not comprehending anicca nature induces people to engage in immoral activities (pāpa kamma.)

It helps to pronounce the Pali word sampāpana instead of “sampapana
      – These are minor details.

Lal
      Keymaster

The following post is from Dosakkhayo. He emailed me the text because he could not use the “text editor” to insert links and format the text. P.S. Text editor issue has now been fixed.

I am planning an article to send to the Korean Theravada community. I am going to write about why anatta should not be translated as no-self.

So I think it would be very helpful to get detailed information about the following sentence:
      Tattha katamo anattaṭṭho? Anissariyaṭṭho anattaṭṭho, avasavattanaṭṭho, akāmakāriṭṭho parividaṭṭho, ayaṁ anattaṭṭhoti.”

6. Suttatthasamuccayabhūmi

Besides that, it also will be beneficial to others.
      Thank you.

Lal
      Keymaster

Tattha katamo anattaṭṭho?” – In which way (the world is) of anatta nature?

Anissariya” opposite of “sāra“- not fruitful
      avasa” opposite of “vasa” – having no control
      akāmakāra” opposite of “kāmakāra” – the inability to fulfill one’s desires.

These are discussed at:
      Anattā – A Systematic Analysis

dosakkhayo
      Participant

Thank lal for the explanation of anatta! And Thank TripleGemStudent for sharing the description of anicca in Peṭakopadesa! I could appreciate the literature’s value in virtue of you.

namo0804
      Participant

I am glad to see this. 🙏
      Thank you…

dosakkhayo
      Participant

This is a minor matter.

In suttacentral petakopadesa 6 70.2, it wrote: “Pīḷanaṭṭho aniccaṭṭho pabhaṅgaṭṭho sampāpanaṭṭho vivekaṭṭho aniccaṭṭho, ayaṁ aniccaṭṭho.”

But lal’s explanation gives: It means, “What is meant by the “anicca lakkhana“? – It means (things in this world) are to cause stress (Pīḷana), are of “breakable nature (pabhaṅga), induce one to engage in immoral deeds (sampāpana), cause restlessness (aviveka).”

So I wonder if this is a typo of lal or a typo of suttacentral.
      Lal
      Keymaster

Good catch!

1. It must be a printing error, but it is in the Buddha Jayanthi (Pali-Sinhala) edition, too (p.178 for those who may have access to it.)  

• Viveka” means “stress-free” in both Pāli and Sinhala languages.

2. The correct application of vivekaṭṭho is in the following verse, for example: “Nirodhassa nissaraṇaṭṭho, vivekaṭṭho, asaṅkhataṭṭho, amataṭṭho—”

• Thus, it should be associated with Nibbana (Nirodha).
      • That verse is in the “2.2. Saccakathā” section of  the Tipitaka Commentary, “Paṭisambhidāmagga.”
      2 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.