Jāti Sōtapanna

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Johnny_Lim
      Participant

Can there be Jāti Sōtapanna during Gotama Buddha’s time? In another words, can past practitioners who received previous Buddha’s teachings, attained Sōtapanna fruit, and get reborn into the same era as Gotama Buddha, received His teachings and continued with their spiritual practice? If it is possible, then it is also likely that they might have gone to the Deva realms after their previous lives had exhausted, dwelled there for a long time and then meet up with Gotama Buddha later on.

Lal
      Keymaster

As I mentioned in a previous post, there is no overlap between Buddha Sasana of two successive Buddhas in the HUMAN WORLD. Let us see why.

If one attained Anagami stage in the Kassapa Buddha Sasana, he/she would not come back to the kama loka at any time.

If one attained Sakadagami stage in the Kassapa Buddha Sasana, he/she would be born in the deva loka and would not come back to the HUMAN WORLD. He/she may reborn there or at HIGHER realms during the Gotama Buddha Sasana, but would not be reborn in the HUMAN WORLD at any time.

If one attained the Sotapnna stage in the Kassapa Buddha Sasana, he/she could have AT MOST 7 more human bhava in the HUMAN WORLD (at most 7 bhava in any realm too). A human bhava is normally thousands of years, not even millions of years. So, it is clear that one would be out of the human bhava, within at most a few million years. The gap between two successive Buddha Sasana is likely to be many millions of years. Within the past 4000 million years, there have been 4 Buddhas (Buddha Sasana). So, it is more like 1000 million years per Buddha Sasana.

Embodied
      Spectator

Hello !

“then meet up with Gotama Buddha later on” : your time & dimensional trip gave me the vertigo – you mean Gotama Buddha as Siddartha 2600 years ago ?

Lal
      Keymaster

@Embodied: Yes. The Gotama Buddha Sasana is only 2600 years old.

Embodied
      Spectator

Seeing that we’re talking about rebirth… the following could explain, partly,what i call “collective kamma” :

““Bhikkhus, those who depart from the human realm, those will be reborn as humans or devas can be compared to the few grains of sand that I pickup on my fingernail. Those who are reborn in the lower four realms are exceedingly many, compared to the sand on this great Earth”.

Meaning, how to explain all the collective suffering of so many innocent people at once (innocent as for the actual bhava that their gandhabbas are grasping in their actual bodies) in Siria, african countries, etc etc… ? Hundreds of people dying all at the same moment who didn’t do any really serious misdeed all along their (even) shorter life?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.