The Buddha prohibited the translation of Tipiṭaka to Sanskrit

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Lal.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Dipobhasadhamma
      Participant

In your post titled “Misinterpretation of Anicca and Anatta by Early European Scholars” you mention (in section 13) that the Buddha prohibited interpretation of the Tipitaka into Sanskrit. I have a few questions regarding this. First, the Titpitaka (as it is represents all 3 baskets of Pali texts) didn’t exist when the Buddha was alive. Can I assume that what you meant was that the Buddha prohibited translating his teachings or the Dhamma into Sanskrit.

I am unable to find any reference to this prohibition in Buddhist academics.

Can you provide me with the Sutta(s) where the Buddha addresses this prohibition?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Lal
      Keymaster

“First, the Titpitaka (as it is represents all 3 baskets of Pali texts) didn’t exist when the Buddha was alive. Can I assume that what you meant was that the Buddha prohibited translating his teachings or the Dhamma into Sanskrit.”

That is precisely what #13 of the post “Misinterpretation of Anicca and Anatta by Early European Scholars” says.

• I don’t understand the question. Tipitaka reference is in #13.
      • It is in the Vinaya Pitaka. Why does it HAVE TO BE in the Sutta Pitaka?
      • There are three Pitakas, including the Abhidhamma Pitaka. All three are relevant.

P.S. I have revised #13 in the post to link to the cited passage in the Vinaya Pitaka.

Dipobhasadhamma
      Participant

The misunderstanding was obviously mine. I thank you for the clarification. Your edits to section 13 referenced above were also very helpful. I should have worded the question better. Reminds me of Einstein’s quote: “If I were given an hour in which to solve a problem upon which my life depended, I would spend 40 minutes studying it, 15 minutes reviewing it and 5 minutes solving it.”

Lal
      Keymaster

The question was also helpful since I did not have the link pointed to the specific verse. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.