Bhūta and Yathābhūta

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Lal.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Johnny_Lim
      Participant

Hi Lal,

I have just finished reading your latest post.

“The situation is even worse for a photon, a particle of light. When a photon is released, one can only find it at a later time by stopping it at a detector. It is IMPOSSIBLE to state the exact path of the photon from the source to the detector.”

Is the famous Schrodinger’s Cat experiment trying to depict this phenomenon of Quantum Superposition?

“Bhuta is a Sinhala word as well as a Pāli word. It literally means a “ghost”. The deeper meaning is associated with the “satara mahā bhūta”: patavi, āpo, tējo, vāyo. One cannot ever see those satara mahā bhūta individually.”

Are rupa kalapas a cocktail mixture of satara mahā bhūta?

“Translated: “Viññāna is unseen, infinite, and leads to the rebirth process for all. With viññāna one cannot comprehend the real nature of patavi, āpo, tējo, vāyo, bhūta, deva, pajapti brahma, abhassara brahma, subhakinha brahma, vehapphala brahma, etc. and everything in this world (sabba)””

I know of some Theravadins who taught practitioners to discern rupa kalapas and the nature of satara mahā bhūta in order to discern ultimate materiality and mentality in order to fully penetrate the first Noble Truth. I am very doubtful that a normal person can discern sub-atomic particles in meditation. I have asked a Bhante on his opinion regarding such practice and he said that such meditation practice is not mentioned in the Tipitaka.

Lal
      Keymaster

Johnny Lim asked the following questions:

“Is the famous Schrodinger’s Cat experiment trying to depict this phenomenon of Quantum Superposition?”

It is a bit different. It involves the decay of a radioactive substance, even though some people try to make a connection.

“Are rupa kalapas a cocktail mixture of satara mahā bhūta?”

Yes. That is what is described in the post (specifically #2 and #12, among others).

“I know of some Theravadins who taught practitioners to discern rupa kalapas and the nature of satara mahā bhūta in order to discern ultimate materiality and mentality in order to fully penetrate the first Noble Truth…”

That is not possible. Rupa kalapas are formed within a billionth of a second and only a Buddha can discern such things.

In order to discern the ultimate materiality and mentality (or the nature of matter) one needs to have the yathabhuta nana (even that is not necessary if one comprehends the anicca nature, which CAN BE also be realized without knowing about the ’theory”). The new post on yathabhuta nana provides the theory.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.