Bad Action, good Intention resulted what kamma ?

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Uyap.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Uyap
      Participant

In some religion they believe in animal sacrifice, each year during one day event occurs massive animals slaughter around the world, however their intention is good which is donate the meat to the poors.

What kamma gained for this action ?

Uyap

Lal
      Keymaster

This is a common misconception that we have discussed before. But since it is important, let me explain it again.

The actual “intention” (cetana) is what kind of mental factors (cetasika) arise in one’s mind. That critically depends on one’s views (ditthi). This is a CRITICAL thing that many people do not understand.

Let us take this animal sacrifice. Those who engage in that believe that it will be beneficial to them. What they believe DOES NOT MATTER.

What matters is whether a given action involves one or more dasa akusala, and if so it will bring bad kamma vipaka.

In the case of this animal sacrifice, there are TWO akusala involved: One is killing animals. The second is the wrong view (micca ditthi) that animal sacrifice (killing of animals) leads to benefits (good kamma vipaka) for them. The second one is an even stronger akusala.

This is why one’s intention may not be what one thinks it is. In this case, those people are happy to carry out this bad kamma and they expect good vipaka (benefits), based on their wrong views. They THINK and BELIEVE that have good intentions. But they do not.

This is why it is important to study and understand what the 10 types of micca ditthi are, and make sure one does not engage in them.

More information can be found at:
      adding kamma vs. receiving vipaka

What is Intention in Kamma?

I strongly suggest reading both. This is a critical issue to understand.

1 user thanked author for this post.
      Gad
      Uyap
      Participant

Lal,

Thanks for this very clear explanation.
      I suddenly feel sad and sorry for the animals, and the people who believe this ritual.

But I have no control on it (anatta), so best thing I can do is just let it be, let it go and wishing someday, somehow they will realize about Dhamma.

Uyap

Gad
      Akvan
      Participant

Hi Uyap,

The act of killing animals will result in a bad kamma vipaka. There is an intention to kill and this is the intention (kamma) that will result in the bad vipaka. Similarly the intention of giving the food to the poor will result in good vipaka. So in this context, these ACTIONS (of killing animals and giving to the poor) will result in good and bad vipaka.

For example if that person is born as a human, he may have lots of wealth and food (the result of giving) although he may be of bad health and have a low life span (the result of killing).

Gad
      Uyap
      Participant

Akvan,

That’s make sense.

Uyap

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.