How to overcome micchā diṭṭhi to a sufficient degree

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Jaro
      Participant

Dear Lal,

It is hard to put into words how much I appreciate your work. I find it very helpful how you systematically explain the Buddha Dhamma, clear up misunderstandings and give an excellent overview of the wider worldview of the Buddha.

I had almost lost hope of understanding the Buddha’s teachings because there are so many confusing and contradictory interpretations of key aspects. But then I discovered your website in early February and have since read many of your posts carefully and several times, especially those on Tilakkhana.

I have come to the conclusion that leaving Sansara is the only right choice. I am ready to do what needs to be done and have set myself the goal of reaching the Sotapanna Anugami stage. I would be happy if you could help me clarify some questions about the Ten Types of Micchā Diṭṭhi.

In your post “Micchā Ditthi, Gandhabba, And Sōtapanna Stage Of Nibbāna” you write that, 

“2. Many people today have at least some of the 10 types of micchā diṭṭhi and believe that they are on the Noble Path. But it is clear from above that some may not even be on the mundane Path.

• Just by saying to oneself that one believes in them, one cannot get rid of the 10 types of micchā diṭṭhi. One must be convinced of it, and that conviction comes by learning Dhamma, the true nature of this world.

but on the other hand you write on your post “How do we Decide which View is Wrong View (Diṭṭhi)?”:

Even a Sotāpanna may not be fully convinced that, for example, there is an arupa loka, but he/she has not ruled that out, i.e., does not have a diṭṭhi. Only an Arahant has “complete” Sammā Diṭṭhi.”

and 

“• Thus it is important to realize that the Sotāpanna stage CAN NOT be reached until niyata micchā diṭṭhi or ESTABLISHED wrong views are removed. For example, one should not hold on to a firm belief that there is no rebirth process; one should at least keep an open mind.”

So to get rid of the ten types of wrong views, it is necessary to be absolutely convinced of their falsity, as described in the first post? Or is it already enough to be open-minded about their invalidity and to regard them as probably incorrect, as described in the second post? 

In summary, what level of conviction is needed to overcome the 10 types of micchā diṭṭhi to a sufficient degree in order to get to the Sotapanna Anugami stage ?

I look forward to your reply, best regards

Jaro

Lal
      Keymaster

Hello Jaro,

Yes. The second post (“How do we Decide which View is Wrong View (Diṭṭhi)?“) needed to be revised. I have revised the first quoted paragraph as follows:

12. Some of our views are deeply ingrained and not easy to eliminate. The main thing is NOT to take a firm stand on things that the Buddha called diṭṭhi and say, “I know this to be true, and only this to be true,” and to cling to them. When one gets to the Sotāpanna stage, one will have Sammā Diṭṭhi. This “higher-level (lokuttara) of Sammā Diṭṭhi” means to see/realize the dangers of remaining in the rebirth process. See “Sammā Diṭṭhi – Realization, Not Memorization” and “Micchā Diṭṭhi, Gandhabba, and Sōtapanna Stage.”

• Yes. It is necessary to eliminate the ten types of “mundane wrong views” before grasping the meanings of the Four Noble Truths/ Paticca Samuppada/Tilkkhana. The two links given above, especially the second link, explain that.
      • Please don’t hesitate to ask questions as you go through the posts. 
        Jaro
        Participant

Then I suppose

“NOT to take a firm stand on things that the Buddha called diṭṭhi and say, “I know this to be true, and only this to be true,” and to cling to them.”

already counts as eliminating, doesn’t it?

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes. That is the logical way to start.

• Then one must examine the facts/evidence and make decisions.
        Jaro
        Participant

Are we talking about scientific facts/evidence or mentions in the Suttas? For example, ōpapātika (instantaneous) births. Although I personally definitely do not rule it out, I am not aware of any scientific procedure that could ever test ōpapātika. But if the Buddha reports it, I trust him and can accept it.

Lal
      Keymaster

We must remember that science has been “wrong” on many accounts. 

• See “Dhamma and Science – Introduction
      • Of course, science has made impressive advancements, especially within the past 100 years or so.
      • However, science is ONLY focused on material phenomena. It cannot say ANYTHING about mental phenomena.

Also, see “Buddha Dhamma – A Scientific Approach” and “Buddhahood Associated Controversies.”

• That is a lot of reading, but some of those posts could be helpful.
      Samana Johann
      Participant

Nyom, Nyom,

There is no other way as association with people of right view, and many of those believing that they relay on “higher” right view aren’t able to grasp the ‘ordinary’ and basics: in one word “gratitude” and feeling obligated.

If living fare off of areas where right view isn’t a common enemy at large, it will be hard to ever gain the base. Macchariya will domain in ever aspect.

It’s good to make an intensive and reflective look at the Mangala Sutta which describes the whole path toward good till beyond very well and to desire to complete the lower first, before trying to grasp the higher, at least by understanding their requirment.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.