Rebirth,heredity , gathi…

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Yeos.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Yeos
      Participant

Hello to all.

Rebirth, heredity, gathi, gandhabba – is there any connection between?
      Or in other words can heredity be accepted by pure dhamma as a form of knowledge (biology/genetics) compatible with rebirth, gathi and gandhabba, related to the transmission of phenotypic traits as character traits ?

Thanks

Lal
      Keymaster

According to the Wikipedia article Phenotype:
      “An organism’s phenotype results from two basic factors: the expression of an organism’s genetic code, or its genotype, and the influence of environmental factors, which may interact, further affecting phenotype.”

So, that does not take into account one’s sansaric gathi at all.

In Buddha Dhamma those sansaric gathi actually DETERMINE one’s birth. Once that first step is complete then of course one’s parents (genetics) and the environment that one grows up, will play roles.

But one’s parents are also determined by one’s sansaric gathi, so that plays the key role.

Of course, one’s gathi (or gati) could change significantly if one’s environment (especially friends and associates) changes drastically. So, that is also an important factor.

Above two key factors are discussed in the following posts and in the links therein:
      Buddhist Explanations of Conception, Abortion, and Contraception AND
      The Law of Attraction, Habits, Character (Gati), and Cravings (Asavas)

sybe07
      Spectator

i don’t know this but maybe the expression of an organism’s genetic code also depends on factors relating to former lifes? mayebe in some way or the other, information from former lifes, which comes with the gandhabba, as blueprint for the new life, plays a role in activating certain inhereted genetic codes or causing them to be deactivated?
      I know, i am speculating.

Siebe

Lal
      Keymaster

Siebe sadi: “mayebe in some way or the other, information from former lifes, which comes with the gandhabba, as blueprint for the new life, plays a role in activating certain inhereted genetic codes or causing them to be deactivated?”

Of course. The genetic code will be determined by a combination of that AND the parents.

y not
      Participant

‘Those factors relating to former lives’,’information from former lives’ are, as I see, what Lal is refering to, in Dhamma terminology, as ‘sansaric gathi’, or, embedded in the sansaric gathi.

So then, a new-born’s character will be overwhelmingly influenced by its own gathi , as well as by its own free will later on in life, and to a lesser degree by the gathi of its parents(lodged in their genetic codes).

Do I have this right?

…sorry Lal, your last post had not yet appeared when I started typing.

Lal
      Keymaster

No problem, y not.

You said: “So then, a new-born’s character will be overwhelmingly influenced by its own gathi , as well as by its own free will later on in life, and to a lesser degree by the gathi of its parents(lodged in their genetic code).”

As was discussed, there are many factors. But ALWAYS one’s free will is at the forefront.

One has to make a determination to change the course for the better or the worse.

But sometimes (when one has a weak mind and does not pay attention), one may just “go with the flow” according to one’s environment.
      – This is why parents must always be on the lookout on what kind of friends a child has. Friends can be a huge influence on a child.
      – This is also true for adults. One must get away from those who pull in wrong directions, and make new associations along “good directions”.

Yeos
        Participant

“But sometimes (when one has a weak mind and does not pay attention), one may just “go with the flow” according to one’s environment.”

Hence the importance of Satipattana.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.