Gaṇakamoggallāna Sutta (MN 107)

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Jorg.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      TripleGemStudent
      Participant

Gaṇakamoggallāna Sutta (MN 107)

Ye kho te, brāhmaṇa, bhikkhū sekkhā apattamānasā anuttaraṁ yogakkhemaṁ patthayamānā viharanti tesu me ayaṁ evarūpī anusāsanī hoti

Is a “sekkhā apattamānasā” the same as “aṭṭhaṅgasamannāgato sekkho“?

Lal
      Keymaster

I have revised your link to point to that verse.
      – English translation there is not bad, but I would write as: “That’s how I instruct Bhikkhus who are trainees—who haven’t achieved Arahanthood, but live aspiring to attain Nibbana.”
      – That translator translates “bhikkhu” as “mendicant” all the time. A Bhikkhu is NOT a “begger”: “mendicant definition
      – It is an insult to call a Bhikkhu a “begger”!

Anyway, the point is that “sekkhā” is a “trainee,” someone on the Noble Path who has not attained Arahanthood.
      – “apattamānasā” means “not reached.”
      – “anuttaraṁ yogakkhemaṁ” means “ultimate goal”
      – “patthayamānā viharanti” means “live aspiring to reach that goal.”

Also, when posting at the forum, please take a moment to format it. I have revised the title as well. It will look better and will save time for others (especially by making the link to appear in a different tab; that is in #2 of the instructions: “Note: Don’t forget to check the little box “Open link in a new tab” so that when someone clicks on the link, it will be opened in a new window.”)
      – Instructions: “How to Post/Reply to a Forum Question

TripleGemStudent
      Participant

Thank you and will do.

Jorg
      Participant

I didn’t know this up until a minute ago, that mendicant can have religious connotations as well. Perhaps the translator had that in mind when he decided to use that word. I’d still refrain from using it, though.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.