the colour or mood of the mind

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      sybe07
      Spectator

Cetasika’s can be seen as mental factor which colour the mind, as the mood of the mind, as it were. Beautiful (sobhana) cetasika’s do not seem to mix with asobhana cetasika’s.

I wonder, when one is mindful (sati) of the arising and presence of asobhana cetasika’s (for example, issa or dosa) what do you think is at that moment the colour of the mind?

Siebe

Lal
      Keymaster

Siebe is probably talking about my analogy of a picture drawn with dark colors to show how a pure citta is contaminated by asobhana cetasika in a post at: “Living Dhamma – Fundamentals“.

It is just an analogy. The Buddha used many such analogies to clarify things. Don’t take it literally.

Issa (jealousy) or dosa (hate) cetasika will of course darken (defile) a mind.

sybe07
      Spectator

I am not sure if is true that, with sati present (a sobhana cetasika), mind really defiles when, for example, issa (a asobhana cetasika) would arise. If sati is really firm established, i belief, it is possible that mind does not really defile, in the sense, it does not really become jalous when issa arises.

Unless one graspes at arising defilements, and gets involved in them by way of identification, attached to them, i belief arising defilements do not have to defile mind. If one looks at those arising mental phenomena with wisdom (‘this is not mine, not who i am, not myself’) then mind does not defile.

Siebe

Lal
      Keymaster

OK. I did not catch the “sati” part of Siebe‘s question.

Yes. If sati (mindfulness) is there, then asobhana cetasika like jealousy and hate cannot arise. Only sobhana cetasika can arise together with other sobhana cetasika. Sobhana and asobhana cetasika do not mix in a given citta.

sybe07
        Spectator

What we experience is probably a netto result, like you teach in your post on vinnana(khandha) Lal. It is sloppy, in some way careless.

Seen from our sloppy netto experience sati seems to go together with, for example, issa and dosa. From that perspective i wrote the reply.

siebe

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.