post on The Amazing Mind – Critical Role of Nāmagotta (Memories)

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Lal.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Tobias G
      Participant

The Amazing Mind – Critical Role of Nāmagotta (Memories)

Gathi (Gati), Anusaya, and Āsava

In those two posts the meaning of asava and anusaya are somehow mixed.
      The post on Gathi says, #1: “Āsava are indeed “mental fermentations” that lie deep down in us.” and “…anusaya bubbling up”
      The post amazing mind says, #4: “…And those anusaya cannot come to the surface as āsava,…”

Just to make it clear, I understand asava as defilements deep down in a being. Those asava become anusaya when the asava start to surface as gati. Is that right?

Lal
      Keymaster

Thanks, Tobias. You asked, “Just to make it clear, I understand asava as defilements deep down in a being. Those asava become anusaya when the asava start to surface as gati. Is that right?”
      – Yes. We can also say that hidden asava can be triggered by a strong arammana and they come to the surface as anusaya.
      – If one cultivates gati that are compatible with those asava, then those asava will get stronger.

I had terms wrong in the post, The Amazing Mind – Critical Role of Nāmagotta (Memories).

I have revised both posts to make things a bit more clear. Please let me know if I missed something.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.