Natthi Yiṭṭhaṃ

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 months ago by Lal.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      dosakkhayo
      Participant

I read three posts about micca ditthi and found a difference in the explanation of “natthi yiṭṭhaṃ”.

Three Kinds of Diṭṭhi, Eightfold Paths, and Samadhi

Micchā Diṭṭhi, Gandhabba, and Sōtapanna Stage

Those two posts said that natthi yiṭṭhaṃ is being grateful and responding in kind (for what others have done for oneself) has no merits.

Dangers of Ten Types of Wrong Views and Four Possible Paths

But this post said that natthi yiṭṭhaṃ is that there are no corresponding benefits in making offerings on a large scale.

So I wonder if both are correct or if one of them should be modified.

Lal
      Keymaster

That phrase is in the “Pathama Niraya Sagga Sutta (AN 10.211)“: “Natthi dinnaṃ, natthi yiṭṭhaṃ, natthi hutaṃ, natthi sukata­dukka­ṭā­naṃ kammānaṃ phalaṃ vipāko, natthi ayaṃ loko, natthi parō lōkō, natthi mātā, natthi pitā, natthi sattā opapātikā, natthi loke samaṇabrāhmaṇā sammaggatā sammāpaṭipannā ye imañca lōkaṃ parañca lōkaṃ sayaṃ abhiññā sacchikatvā pavedentī’ti.” 

• The three phrases I bolded provide somewhat similar meanings. All involve giving. The first (Natthi dinnaṃ) is about generic “giving” (dāna); the subsequent two have increasingly higher impact. 
      • The following translation in the first two links Dosakkhayo referred to is better: “(i) giving (dana) has no merits, (ii) being grateful and responding in kind (for what others have done for oneself) has no merits, (iii) respecting and making offerings to those with higher virtues has no merits.
      • I have revised the third post to have the exact translation as above.
      1 user thanked author for this post.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.