August 28, 2022 at 12:38 pm #39820
August 28, 2022 at 4:24 pm #39828LalKeymaster
The answer becomes clear when you list the factors involved in “recalling a memory.”
1. All memories (namagotta) from eons ago are in vinnana dhatu and will always be there.
– That is why a Buddha can recall any event in the past as far back as he wants.
– See “Where Are Memories Stored? – Viññāṇa Dhātu”
2. Hadaya vatthu is the seat of the mind. It is the major component of gandhabba. Gandhabba is inside the physical body, and the hadaya vatthu (together with the five pasada rupa) is located close to the physical heart (not inside the heart).
– Memories from the vinnana dhatu (in the external world) come through the mana indriya in the brain. Of course, science is not aware of that.
– Thus, even though the brain is not where the memories are (as scientists believe), the brain plays a significant role in extracting memories.
– See “Brain – Interface between Mind and Body”
3. Thus, the ability to recall memories depends on the brain. In the worse case, a person with Alzheimer’s disease may not be able to recall much of anything.
– Average humans can recall mostly events from this life, not all of them.
– But, few people have exceptional memory recall (HSAM). That supports the idea of all memories (namagotta) remain intact in vinnana dhatu. See “Recent Evidence for Unbroken Memory Records (HSAM)”
4. Therefore, this “misinformation effect” of not being able to recall memories correctly is to do with the brain.
– All average humans have that issue to some extent.
– Those with HSAM have brains that can recall past events in this life with high accuracy due to what is called “punna iddhi” or a type of kamma vipaka. It is not that they have higher intelligence, as mentioned in that post.
– We know that some children can recall one or two past lives.
– But if one can cultivate abhinna powers by cultivating higher jhana, one will be able to recall even past lives. Some yogis can recall many past lives, but none can recall lives far back as a Buddha.
August 29, 2022 at 7:03 am #39860dosakkhayoParticipant
“Thus, the ability to recall memories depends on the brain.”
Thank you lal.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.