August 30, 2020 at 10:40 am #31879ZapperParticipant
Hey Lal, I have found another small contradiction between 2 posts again.
Its a pretty small contradiction but I think its worth noting.
Based on this post https://puredhamma.net/tables-and-summaries/31-realms-of-existence/ the lifetime of Abhassara deva is 8 MK and Subha kinhaka deva is 64 MK,
however in this post https://puredhamma.net/sutta-interpretations/pathama-metta-sutta/ the lifetime of Abhassara deva is 2 MK and Subha kinhaka deva is 4 MK.
“When he dies, he is reborn in the Abhassara realm. Those devas have a life-span of 2 aeons (Maha Kappa).”
“When he dies, he is reborn in the Subhakinha realm. Those devas have a life-span of 4 aeons (Maha Kappa).”
August 30, 2020 at 12:05 pm #31886LalKeymaster
Thank you, Zapper.
– Yes. I needed to update the lifetimes in the post, “Pathama Metta Sutta”
1. I have corrected the lifetimes there per that sutta.
2. Now, it appears that the lifetimes quoted in that sutta for the Abhassara and Subhkinha realms (2 and 4 kappa) are different from those in the post, “31 Realms of Existence” (8 and 64 kappa)
4. I think the resolution is the following.
The Pathama Metta Sutta (AN 4.125) discusses the rebirths in Brahma realms that result from cultivation of the first, second, third, and fourth jhana.
– But each jhana corresponds to several Brahma realms, depending on the “strength” of the jhana.
– In particular, the second and third jhanas correspond to three realms each (based on the strength of the jhana being low, medium, and high).
– Other references give lifetimes for EACH of those realms. But the Pathama Metta Sutta (AN 4.125) gives just one lifetime.
5 You can see the division of each jhana to several realms in, “The Thirty-one Planes of Existence”
By the way, the lifetimes that you quoted are the old ones that appeared in my posts BEFORE revisions.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.