Different list of the 10 Sanyojanas ???

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Lal.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Sammasambodhi Gami
      Participant

Hii everyone

May the blessings of the Triple Gem be with you always !

In the Suttas, we find the list of 10 sanyojanas. But in Abhidhamma (Dhammasangani), a slightly different list of 10 fetters are given. Why is there a difference in these two ?

please see – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fetter_(Buddhism)

Why is “uddhacca” not mentioned in the list of 10 sanyojanas in Abhidhamma ?

I think all the concepts in Tipitaka should be inter-consistent. But why is there an anomaly here ?

Can someone please explain.

Thanks in advance

Lal
      Keymaster

Yes. Sometimes it appears that some ways of detailing things are different from suttas to Abhidhamma. For example, suttas list 4 rupavacara jhanas, and Abhidhamma lists five. It turns out that the first jhana in the suttas can actually split to two, where vitakka and vicara are suppressed in two stages.

But most people do not experience two stages, and that is why the suttas mention 4 instead of five.

Abhidhamma is very refined. So, I expect that we may able to resolve this issue about the samyojana at some point.

I did check and Abhidhamma version is a bit different from the suttas which state the 10 samyojana as: sakkaya ditthi, vicikicca, silabbata paramasa, kama raga, patigha as five orambhagiya samyojana (removed by the Anagami stage) and rupa raga, arupa raga, mana, uddacca, avijja (removed at the Arahant stage).

For Abhidhamma: Khuddhavatthu Vibhanaga, Dasaka Niddesa: “Tattha katamāni dasa saṃyojanāni? ¬Kāmarā¬ga¬saṃ¬yoja¬naṃ, paṭi¬gha¬saṃ¬yoja¬naṃ, mānasaṃyojanaṃ, diṭṭhi¬saṃ¬yoja¬naṃ, vici¬kicchā¬saṃ¬yoja¬naṃ, sīlab¬bata¬parāmā¬sa¬saṃ¬yoja¬naṃ, bhava-rāga¬saṃ¬yoja¬naṃ, issāsaṃyojanaṃ, maccha¬ri¬ya¬saṃ¬yoja¬naṃ, avijjā¬saṃ¬yoja¬naṃ—imāni dasa saṃyojanāni.”.

Bhavaraga, issa, macchariya instead of rupa raga, arupa raga, uddacca in the suttas. So, these differences are in the higher 5 samyojana.

Now, bhava raga could be the same as rupa raga and arupa raga, since kama raga is already removed by Anagami stage.
      Therefore, issa and macchariya seem to represent uddacca. I do not know the answer to why that is. Hopefully, the answer will be found soon.

It needs to be kept in mind that all these are highly reduced by the time one gets to the Anagami stage. For example, an Anagami would not have issa (jealousy) at the level of a normal human. So, it could be that whether it is uddacca or a combination of issa and macchariya, that represents the “sense of me” that we have talked a lot about under various topics at this discussion forum.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.