Dakkhiṇāvibhaṅga Sutta (MN 142)

• This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated 2 years ago by Lal.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Lal
      Keymaster

The following post is from Raja_mw:

Hi,
      Homage to Triple Gem

at Dakkhinavibhanga Sutta
      there is a statement that even 1 pair of robe/cloth can be offered as Sangha Dana / Saṅghagatā Dakkhiṇā. in that case, is offering by Gotami to Sangha considered as type 1 Saṅghagatā Dakkhiṇā (from 7)?

if we do the same as Gotami now, what type of Saṅghagatā Dakkhiṇā we did? and what can we do to improve any offering to Sangha become the highest type possible.

I heard that Sangha Dana can be considered as Sangha Dana if there are at least 4 Bhikkhus or more at that place when an offering is made? and there is even debate about the procedure of what makes Sangha Dana valid; that we must state “this is for Sangha” verbally etc before giving any offering (Vaci Sankhara/Stated in the heart isn’t enough)
      is it true?

if I have one bowl of porridge and there are 5-7 Bhikkhus, how can I make my offering become Sangha Dana which seen as “valid/legitimate” by the law of nature/ Tipitaka? if the offering is food (not robe/cloth) must it be 5-7 bowl (same as the Bhikkhus) to be considered as Sangha Dana?

what if we transfer money with the intent to do Sangha Dana to a bank account managed by Sangha (for Sangha by Dayaka), is it still count as Sangha Dana? *Bhikkhus can’t receive money/gold etc.

the point is, are there any strict requirements for Sangha Dana considered as Sangha Dana, and what key elements that made Sangha Dana done now is still considered at least type 2 or 3 which stated at Dakkhinavibhanga Sutta?

and can it be combined with knowledge from Danamahaphala Sutta, when we do offering the intention is “Adornment of mind”, is it a synonym of Asavakhaya?

I presume if I can make merit with the right intent, guided, and “valid” as what this Sutta said, it will be very beneficial to my growth in the Path.

with Metta…
      much appreciated

Lal
      Keymaster

The sutta refers to 7 kinds of offerings to the Sangha (bhikkhus/bhikkhunis or monks/nuns) (satta saṅghagatā dakkhiṇā)

(1) One gives to both sanghas (of monks and of nuns) headed by the Buddha—this is the first offering to the order.
      (2) One gives to both sanghas (of monks and of nuns)27 after the Buddha has passed away—this
      is the second offering to the order.
      (3) One gives to the sangha of monks—this is the third offering to the order.
      (4) One gives to the sangha of nuns—this is the fourth offering to the order.
      (5) One gives, saying, “allocate this for monks and nuns from the sangha” [256] —this is the fifth offering to the order.
      (6) One gives, saying, “allocate this for monks from the sangha”—this is the sixth offering to the order.
      (7) One gives, saying, “allocate this for nuns from the sangha”—this is the seventh offering to the order.

You asked: “there is a statement that even 1 pair of robe/cloth can be offered as Sangha Dana / Saṅghagatā Dakkhiṇā. in that case, is offering by Gotami to Sangha considered as type 1 Saṅghagatā Dakkhiṇā (from 7)?”
      – Yes. Since it was a general offer without reference to a specific bhikkhu or bhikkhuni.
      – The Sangha will decide who will get the robe.

Per your next question, it does not matter how much one gives. One gives based on one’s capability and/or the needs of the Sangha. If one can afford only one robe, one should make the offering to the Sangha. They will decide who will get the robe.

“I heard that Sangha Dana can be considered as Sangha Dana if there are at least 4 Bhikkhus or more at that place when an offering is made?”
      – I don’t think that is true.

I think you should be able to get the answers to the other questions the same way. It does not matter how much one gives. One gives based on one’s capability.
      – What matters is the right intention.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.