Boddhisattva

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Brett
      Participant

Hi Lal,

First, thank you for this site, the amount of information and explanation is awesome.

I have read many of your posts already and id not find much on the topic of boddhisattva. According to some traditions, the highest one can aspire to is to become a Boddhisattva which implies renouncing Nirvana until all sentient beings have been saved.

From what I have read so far, life has been around eternally, no beginning, universes come and go endlessly, and the only “end” to the birth-rebirth cycle comes to one after enlightenment or Arahanthood and even Buddhahood. But the cycles will still be ongoing endlessly between Kalpas or days of Brahman. So it does make sense to me that one should want to become a boddhisattva knowing the cycles are eternal no matter what. And then the very concept of having all sentient beings saved goes contrary to the concept of eternity unless eternity eventually means no more manifestation ever.

The other questions relate to “matter” creation by the mind. I can see how we create our world within the existing one but how about the universe itself, planets, stars, etc. these must be created by higher minds then? So what is your view on how the universe(s) come and go?

And if the mind creates matter (suddhatakka) but the mind itself is matter (Hadaya Vathu), even if Gatis, which are also of the mind, bring about dhamma, then logically it is consciousness itself that creates matter…?

Tobias G
      Participant

bodhisatta is bodhi+satta = a being (satta) on the way to enlightment, actually only linked to the last life of a Buddha. This is Theravada school.

See also Saddharma Pundarika Sutra (Lotus Sutra) – A Focused Analysis.

Brett
        Participant

Thank you Tobias, makes a lot more sense, a false concept based on bad translation, sounds just like the catholic church!!

Lal
      Keymaster

Brett wrote: “According to some traditions, the highest one can aspire to is to become a Boddhisattva which implies renouncing Nirvana until all sentient beings have been saved.”

Yes. That is a problem with the Mahayana version. The link provided by Tobias above addresses that question. Thank you, Tobias.

Brett asked: “The other questions relate to “matter” creation by the mind. I can see how we create our world within the existing one but how about the universe itself, planets, stars, etc. these must be created by higher minds then? So what is your view on how the universe(s) come and go?

That is a good question. It has been asked in different forms at this forum.
      – You may want to read the post, “Buddhism and Evolution – Aggañña Sutta (DN 27)” first.
      – Then there is a long discussion at, “Post on “Buddhism and Evolution – Aggañña Sutta (DN 27)

Brett asked: “And if the mind creates matter (suddhatakka) but the mind itself is matter (Hadaya Vathu), even if Gatis, which are also of the mind, bring about dhamma, then logically it is consciousness itself that creates matter…?”
      – Yes. It is a cyclical process. That is why it never ends until attaining Arahanthood (Nibbana.)
      Of course, the process ends only for that lifestream. Since there are infinite beings, the process itself will continue.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.