Reply To: Vipassana Meditation After Sotapanna Stage

Lal
Keymaster

Hello Yash,

OK. I see that you are likely to have a basic understanding of a Sotapanna/Sotapanna Anugami. You also seem to be quite motivated.
– I think many of those who post on the forum and also write to me could be at the same stage. I use the words “likely/could be/seem to be” etc. only because no one can really know about the attainments of another (only a Buddha can know anyone’s attainment).

I had been at your stage for several years. That is why I had not really written that much about getting to higher stages. Even today, I am not an Anagami. It is quite possible that I have gotten to the Sakadagami stage.
– So, it could be beneficial to describe my experiences and how I have made progress. Also, what I am doing to get to the Anagami stage.

Let us first take a simple example of an alcoholic trying to break that habit.

1. The first thing to do is to abstain from drinking as much as possible. In the same way, one should abstain from obvious “problem activities” Indulging in sensual pleasures, not trying to control anger, etc. are obvious things. Some people attain meditation retreats and then go home and watch adult movies. That is not going to work if one really wants to attain the Anagami stage.
2. One will NEVER break that habit without understanding the “bad outcomes of being an alcoholic”. An average human is like an alcoholic. He has NOT SEEN (with wisdom) that craving mind-pleasing things WILL lead to future suffering. So, at the Sotapanna stage one has removed “Ditthi vipallasa“. Make sure to read that post on vipallasa: “Vipallāsa (Diṭṭhi, Saññā, Citta) Affect Saṅkhāra
3. Even after getting that understanding (or clear vision) it is not EASY to remove the feelings/perceptions TO BE attached. One KNOWS getting attached is bad, but one may not be able to overcome the desire. That is the critical “sanna vipallasa.” This is why it is not easy to get rid of kama raga and become an Anagami.
4. However, even a Sotapanna Anugami‘s mind WILL NOT allow any “papa kamma” (worse types of immoral deeds that can bring rebirth in the apayas). Thus even though an alcoholic who had given up drinking MAY go back to being an alcoholic, a Sotapanna Anugami WILL NEVER go back to the level of an average human.
5. How would one know that one has attained at least the Sotapanna Anugami stage? It is a critical decision that only a given person can make for themselves. But it is easy to determine whether one has attained the Anagami stage: Watch an adult movie and see whether one does not get any sexual thoughts, as I pointed out in the discussion on “Attaining Anariya Jhana as a Sotapanna

Now we can discuss how to start making progress (on getting rid of kama raga), assuming that one is at least a Sotapanna Anugami.
– I will think about how best to start on that. Others can comment and also ask questions about what I write. We can start by commenting on what I wrote above. Any faults with what I wrote? Anything to add?